Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Sketch in the Shade

 



I choose to write about Mark Rothko's oil canvas painting entitled "Sketch in the Shade." I was browsing through the National Gallery of Art's website and was immediately drawn to this piece because the sense of peace and fluidity that radiated off of it. 

Mark Rothko was born Mark Rothkowitz in Latvia in 1903, and immigrated to America in 1913. This work of art was created in 1925, relatively early in his artistic career. During this time he was interested in surrealism, which is my favorite style of art. However he is most known for his color field paintings which emerged in 1947. He loved to create art that expresses emotions and brought the viewers to tears. 

The brushstrokes in the trees are not all uniform, this natural pattern makes this piece interesting. Like real leaves and bushes, they grow in many different directions. I believe this also gives some movement to this artwork. 

I love the tones used in this piece. The contrast of the light and dark shades gives this it depth and shadows which makes it look more realistic. 

The colors are vibrant and varying. The green hues radiate a sense of peace and calmness. I also love that Mark did not neglect to include the pieces of skyline in between the trees. Also the different colors in the sky. The layering of those colors really add value to this piece. I love all the little details that round out this artwork and make it complete. 

References. 

National Gallery of Art. "Mark Rothko." https://www.nga.gov/collection/artist-info.1839.html

Kedmey, Karen. "Mark Rothko." Museum of Modern Art.  (2017).  https://www.moma.org/artists/5047#fn:1

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful piece. I love that the layers make it look life like. I agree that it almost looks like it has movement. The water flowing and the trees flowing in the wind. I love this kind of work because I feel like after looking at it a person could close their eyes and smell the air and hear the sounds that come with the scene. This was a great choice of art. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Non-traditional Art

This week I got to explore some non traditional art pieces that I found interesting and that caught my eye. I wanted to stay away from what ...